Diapers and doublers cut from a queen-size fitted flannel sheet. I was able to get six medium size diapers (3 layers of flannel each) out of the sheet, and with the bits that were too small, I cut a bunch of flannel doublers. I'll combine these with the yellow microfiber towels below to make some quick-dry lay-in doublers.
In order to add lots of absorbency to diapers without sacrificing quick drying time, I make microfiber and flannel "doublers" to lay inside the diapers. These are cut from thick water-absorbing microfiber towels, but many other materials work well for these. Natural fibers work best, but there are a few exceptions to that rule, including these microfiber towels, and a polyester knit called "alova suedecloth." For these doublers I'll use two layers of these towels, plus two layers of flannel. I just serge the whole stack together, but a wide zig-zag around the edge will work just as well.
This is the lazy, but extremely effective way to sew absorbent layers into a diaper. The pink thing is a microfiber towel, folded in half, and zig-zagged onto the inner layer of the diaper. I trimmed away the extra towel from the leg area. I only used one towel, because it is very important that these diapers dry quickly in the dryer (not more than one cycle) or on the clothesline (in one day).
I was rudely jolted back to reality this morning when I discovered that deadline is a week from next Monday. Which means I have to stop sewing long enough to set a few articles. Which means.. I'm sad.
I've been working on Miss O's chicken quilt, piecing a few 12" quilt blocks for various swaps, and also sewing up some diapers with my FOE that just arrived yesterday. Miss O really needs a few more, and little G will need some, too. I have plenty of newborn size, but not many smalls.